Assistant Prof., Sociology, Tenure Track, CSU Fullerton
Department of Sociology
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Assistant Professor Tenure-Track
The Department of Sociology at California State University, Fullerton, invites candidates to apply for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2020 semester. California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Department invites applicants with primary teaching and research specialties inSocial Policy and/or Social Welfare. The following secondary areas are especially desirable: Education and/or Health. Candidates must be able to and be enthusiastic about teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Statistics.
Additional teaching expectations include upper/lower division Sociology courses and Sociology graduate seminars. Faculty also provide academic advisement, participate in department, university, professional and community service, and engage in scholarly endeavors resulting in peer-reviewed publications. Positive tenure/promotion decisions require high quality teaching, peer-reviewed publications, and service to the Department and University.
• A Ph.D. in Sociology or a relevant field by August 2020 is required. To be considered, ABD applicants must include with their application materials, transcripts and supporting documentation (e.g., letters from advisors, indication of oral defense date, sample
dissertation chapters, etc.) indicating that their degree completion will occur before August 2020.
• Evidence of successful teaching.
• Use of best practices and innovative instructional technologies in teaching.
• A realistic research agenda and evidence of on-going involvement in research activity.
• Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
• Ability to work and interact effectively with a culturally diverse range of students, faculty and staff.
A complete on-line application must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. Applications accepted beginning July 15, 2019. To apply, visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/ to view all job listings and select 493539 to begin the
application process and provide the following required materials:
1. letter of application describing teaching and research experience and interests including the areas of specialization
2. curriculum vita
3. teaching philosophy statement
4. evidence of high quality of teaching and teaching excellence – including, but not limited to copies of student evaluation with interpretive information and other measures of teaching excellence (e.g. peer or faculty observations).
5. undergraduate and graduate school transcript(s) (Unofficial transcripts to be accepted
during application process. Official transcripts required upon start of appointment if
6. documentation of research agenda
7. statement of contributions to diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential
contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. We are particularly
interested in discussion of your experiences, successes and challenges in teaching and
mentoring students from a diverse student population (approximately one to two pages,
8. three letters of reference
Please direct all questions about the position to Dr. Anthony S. Alvarez (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Devon Thacker Thomas (email@example.com), chairs of the recruitment committee.
Applications accepted beginning July 15, 2019. Applications received by September 9, 2019 will be given full consideration. Position is open until filled.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases.Summer research grants, moving expenses, start-up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.